Sunday, September 9, 2007



Ok.. so here are some more pictures from our trip. Sorry it took me so long!

Alrighty... first picture for your viewing pleasure is our camping spot in Gothenburg, NE. I just knew that many of you were probably excited to see an actual KOA... since we've talked them up so much! No... I didn't accidently upload a picture of the parking lot at the Waffle House... this is the KOA.



Ok.. so it was pretty cool that on our trip we spent a lot of time traveling along the Oregon trail. How did I know we were on the Old Oregon Trail you ask.... well, 'cause they had lots of signs!


And of course mom was with me!

We stopped at the Scotts Bluff National Monument... here's the view as your driving towards it.
It's 800 feet to the top... I'm very proud of mom because she let us go up there. Of course she wouldn't let me drive HaRV up.. so we took the conveniently offered shuttle.

Here's the visitor center sign thingy.
Here's the visitor center...
Here's a cool authentic pioneer wagon. I had to ask myself if I thought we could have fit everything that was in HaRV in this wagon? Do you think the pioneers packed their house plants?

Here's a really cool tree ring display inside the visitor center. The picture is bad.. but I think you can read the tags on it. It's much bigger and the tags go out to include things like the 1983 space shuttle Challenger explosion.
Also on display at the visitor center are chunks of rock that pioneers carved their names on. (and we look down on people who write on bathroom stalls... who's to say 100 years from now they won't be on display in some museum!)
Here's what the rock says.
After leaving Scotts Bluff we headed towards Chimeny Rock National Historic Site.
After that.. well it was pretty much corn fields. Miles and miles and miles of corn fields. I think the next exciting thing that happened were the flat tires. Which by now I'm sure everyone has heard about. Somewhere in Indiana.. on a road flanked by CORN fields we had 2 flat tires.
Then one more night at a KOA and then a stop in London, KY to visit Beth, Charles and Matt! It was a great visit... plus we learned how to squeeze 3 adults, 1 car seat, 1 dog and 1 cat inside a large cat carrier into a car! A skill that I'm sure will come in handy again some day. Then on to Knoxville, Bristol and finally Lexington!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't post one little picture of the infamous cornfields... and totally missed the opportunity to make Children of the Corn remarks :)